Father Mercredi students will learn in a caring environment in which they will gain the knowledge, skills, and Christian values that will encourage them to strive for personal excellence, applying their gifts and talents to successfully meet the challenges of life with optimism and confidence
Our school was named after Father Patrick Mercredi who was known as a fiery athlete, a dedicated coach, a quiet artist, a lover of children, and a hard-working community leader.
Father Mercredi came from a family of 12 children. At 7, he left his Fort Chipewyan Reserve home to attend residential school at Fort Chipewyan. He left school after Grade 8 to trap and fish with his father for several years. In 1923, Father returned to school, and in 1928 he entered the Oblate Fathers’ novitiate in Manitoba – the first step toward his life as a priest. On August 15, 1934 Father Mercredi was ordained in Fort Chipewyan, the second Native Indian priest in the Province of Alberta.
After working with Cree tribes in Saskatchewan and Alberta from 1935 to 1938, Father Mercredi came to the Fort McMurray region, and he served in settlements along the rail line between here and Lac La Biche from then until 1970.
Father Mercredi passed away one day before the school’s official opening on November 1, 1982. He was loved in this community by young and old alike, and through the High School will be continually remembered for his contributions to Fort McMurray.
Father Patrick Mercredi Community High School has always had the philosophy of teaching all students. This includes all levels of academic ability, all ethnic groups and all faith backgrounds. We also believe in offering students opportunities to gain a well rounded educational experience through academics, sports, the Fine Arts, the skilled trades and community service.
Father Mercredi High School completed a large renovation/expansion project in 1996 which added a wing at the back-end of the two story section of the school, improvements to the gymnasiums, the addition of a Chapel as well as changes in the Trades and Technology wing. With the increase in population of Fort McMurray, we also added three new portable classrooms in 2006.
During the summer of 2011, an investment of more than $4 M was made to transform the school into a state of arts Science and Technology Centre that opened in September 2011. Father Mercredi Students now have an increased variety of electives to choose from that will help them make better choices for future career choices.